Thursday, September 16, 2010

latest

Hey all,

I know there has been some information trickling through, I have not had a chance to send out an update, so here it goes:
Late Monday night I started to experience sever pain my lower right side just below my ribs, along with sever shortness of breath. I woke up Monica and we decided to call the on-call doctor. He told me it sounded like it could be a blood clot and that we should head to the hospital. I was very weak, and unstable on my feet it was unclear if I could make it down the stairs and to the car under my own power. We considered calling an ambulance. After some time I did make it downstairs into the car, and we arrived at the hospital about 1AM early Tuesday morning.
I immediately started throwing up we when got to the ER, good thing it wasn’t in the car.
I had my oxygen tank with me but it goes up to 5mL. At the ER they saw the shortness of breath, and low oxygen levels, and immediately put me on a high volume oxygen pump to get my OX levels back up. They gave me some pain medication and I started to feel better.
They took some blood and a CT scan. The CT scan results showed that my right lung was full of something. The question was whether it is infection or pneumonia? After getting me checked into a room, they immediately started me on a number of different antibiotics. It was determined that I was Anemic so I was given a blood transfusion. Tests were run on blood, and on my Gallbladder. No results yet on these tests.
Right now I am very tired, weak, and my I am still on a lot of oxygen due to shortness of breath.
The doctor told me that I could be in the hospital for 5-10 days. I did not know if I should punch him, or cry due to my last stay in the hospital. I bit my lip and did neither.
The success or failure of the antibiotics will determine what it is that I have. Success of the antibiotics would suggest massive infection. Otherwise it is likely pneumonia. If I don’t start to feel better a Bronchoscopy would be required to take a sample from my lungs and determine exactly what is in there. There however is a lot of risk associated with doing this so we don’t want to go there unless we have to.
The kids and Monica are doing well. We have some good friends and neighbors that are helping us get the kids to and from school and activities so that Monica can spend as much time as she wants at the Hospital.

-Eric

2 comments:

c strunk said...

I am amazed by both of you! Hang in there, you probably have no idea the legions of people that are praying for your family!

Lauriann and David said...

Hi Eric,
All of us in California check your blog frequently...we are always thinking about you and your family! Know that we are praying for you. You guys are truly amazing!